Teller County Victim Advocate Program
The Teller County Victim Advocate Program is a nonprofit, volunteer-based service. We provide on scene crisis response 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. to victims of crime and those affected by tragic events or misfortune. The Victims Assistance program, which is led by Program Coordinator Jan McKamy, provides information, follow-up, support and referrals. Also, as a community service, Advocates respond to scenes of unattended deaths and community disasters.
Jan McKamy -Program Coordinator – C.A. #97-496-2672
Cindy Parker – Colorado Certified Advocate
The Volunteer Advocates and the Program Coordinator provide on scene crisis response 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to victims of the following crimes covered under the 1992 Colorado Victims Rights Amendment:
- Murder – 1st and 2nd Degree
- Criminally negligent homicide and vehicular homicide
- Assault – 1st, 2nd, 3rd degree, vehicular assault
- Kidnapping – 1st and 2nd degree
- Sexual Assault – 1st, 2nd, 3rd degree, unlawful sexual contact, on a child, on a child by one in a position of trust, on a client by a psychotherapist
- Robbery-aggravated, aggravated use of a controlled substance
- Incest and aggravated incest
- Child abuse
- Sexual exploitation of children
- Crimes against at-risk adults or at-risk juveniles
- Crimes for which the underlying foundation has been determined to be domestic violence
- Careless driving that results in the death of another person
- Ethnic intimidation
- Retaliation against a victim or witness
- Tampering with a victim or witness
- Any criminal attempt, conspiracy, criminal solicitation, or accessory involving any of the crimes specified above.
If the victim is deceased or incapacitated, these rights may be exercised by the victim’s spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, significant other, or other lawful representative.
Also, as a community service, Advocates respond to scenes of unattended deaths and community disasters.
Volunteer Advocates are needed! Please contact Jan McKamy at (719) 687-9262 or (719) 686-2509.